2013 High School String Honor Orchestra
March 21-23, 2013
Greetings! I excited to invite you and your students to participate in the 2013 West Virginia University High School Honors Orchestra Weekend March 21-23 here in Morgantown. (Please note the new date!) Members of the WVU string department and I will lead a weekend of group instruction, string orchestra, and section rehearsals. I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you all and work with your fine students.
As in the past, we include the following among this year’s planned activities:
- Seating auditions for all participants
- Full orchestra and sectional rehearsals/master class sessions
- Focus on developing musical and ensemble skills
- A “Lobby chamber music concert” featuring WVU faculty soloist Mikylah Myers McTeer, performing Karol Szymanowski’s Violin Concerto No. 1, along with Samuel Barber’s Adagio, Franz Liszt’s Orpheus, and Richard Wagner’s Flying Dutchman Overture.
- A final concert by the Honors Orchestra joined by members of the WVU Symphony Orchestra, led by me, and performances of works specifically for each string section, led by WVU string faculty.
You can obtain more information and all necessary forms for the Honors String weekend registration by accessing http://music.wvu.edu/ and clicking on the 2013 Honors Orchestra button.
We ask that you return your student registration forms by January 25th, 2013.
If you have any questions regarding the Weekend, please do not hesitate to contact me. My email address is the best option.
Dr. Mitchell Arnold
Director of Orchestral Activities
Associate Professor of Music
School of Music
West Virginia University
2013 High School String Honor Orchestra Nomination FORM
General Info for Teachers/Directors and Students